Adapted from the Sprouted Kitchen cookbook
Moroccan Stuffed Acorn Squash
Makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 50 minutes
2 medium acorn squash
3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
One 13.5-ounce can light coconut milk
1 cup organic quinoa
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
½ cup organic crumbled goat cheese, plus more for garnish
½ cup organic pomegranate seeds
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons finely chopped mint leaves
2 tablespoons fresh organic orange juice
½ cup roughly chopped toasted pistachios (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 425°. Cut the acorn squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Rub 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil on the cut sides of the squash halves, then season with salt and pepper.
2. Place the squash, cut side down, on a baking sheet and pierce the skin a few times with a fork. Roast for 20 minutes. Flip the squash over and continue cooking, cut side up, until you can easily poke a knife through the flesh at the thickest part of the squash, about 10 minutes longer, depending on the size of your squash. Remove the squash from the oven and let cool slightly.
3. While the squash is cooking, in a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat, combine the coconut milk with a pinch of salt and pepper and bring to a gentle boil. Add the quinoa, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the quinoa steam in the saucepan for 5 minutes.
4. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons coconut oil, the paprika, coriander and cumin to the quinoa and toss to combine. Add the goat cheese, pomegranate seeds, cilantro, lemon zest, mint and orange juice, then toss until just combined. Taste, then season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
5. Divide the mixture among the cavities of the squash. Garnish with a sprinkle of cheese and the pistachios, if using. Serve immediately and enjoy!